For those of you who had to miss my cooking demo at Natural Grocers recently, here are the recipes I went over and a fun article about the mood-boosting benefits of cashews.
For all of these recipes, minus Parmesan Cheese, you need to soak the raw cashews first.
Not only does soaking insure a creamier texture, all nuts (and seeds and grains) are usually difficult for most people to digest because of an enzyme-inhibiting substance in them called phytic acid. ("Enzyme inhibitors" = enzymes secreted during digestion can't do their job because they can't properly break down the food.) Phytic acid actually impairs your body's ability to absorb certain vitamins/ minerals so, by soaking them, you are able to reduce that effect and reap more of the health benefits of nuts because your body is able to assimilate the nutrients better.
To soak them, simply cover them with purified water in a glass or stainless steel container overnight for 8-12 hours. You can then drain and refrigerate them, but you need to utilize them within approx 48 hours to avoid mold. If you don't utilize all of your soaked nuts or would like to consume dried nuts in a healthier way, dehydrate them in the oven set on low for 8-10 hours,
- 1 cup, soaked, raw cashews (soaked in water for 4-6 hours, or overnight, and drained)
- 1/4 cup, chopped red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil (organic is best)
- 2 tablespoons, water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons, lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon, sea salt or pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon, turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon, onion powder
Add cashews, chopped bell pepper, water, lemon juice, and olive oil to food processor. Blend on high until all ingredients are fully blended. Then, add seasoning and blend until mixture reaches a smooth and creamy consistency.
You can store in an airtight container for up to 7 days!
(One of my favorite ways to enjoy this, shown in the pic above, is using it to top off my "Mexican Spaghetti" - black bean noodles, sauteed veggies, and taco seasoned grass-fed ground beef. Or, more simple & vegan option, using it in a black bean, pico de gallo, fajita veggie layered dip.)
- 1 1/2 cups, soaked raw cashews (soaked in water for 4-6 hours, or overnight, and drained)
- 1/2 teaspoon, sea salt or pink salt
- 2-2 1/2 teaspoons, lemon juice
- 3/4 cup, water
Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
(This recipe is great because it has all sort of potential! One of my favorites: add green chilies, tomato, lime juice, and/or cilantro for a delicious enchilada sauce or to top off a taco salad. Another option is to omit the salt in the recipe and create your own creamy dessert. One option: add berries, vanilla, and stevia for a sweet, mood-boosting treat.)
- 1/3 cup, raw, dry cashews
- 1/4 teaspoon, mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon, sea salt or pink salt
- 1/4 teaspoon, fennel seeds
Finely blend all ingredients until mixture reaches a parmesan cheese texture. This one is best blended in a coffee grinder or something that can powder the fennel seed. Store in an airtight container for up to a month.
Key Lime Cream
- 1 cup, soaked raw cashews (same as other soaked recipes above)
- 3/4 cup, organic unsweetened coconut milk, shaken. (I prefer the full-fat version vs. reduced-fat because it reaches a thicker consistency and it's a good fat!)
- 1/4 cup, melted coconut oil (organic extra-virgin, raw is best!)
- 3-4 limes, 3 is okay if they're large.
- 1/2 cup, xylitol, powdered. Simply put granulated xylitol in a blender/ coffee grinder/ or small food processor and pulse until it reaches a "powder" consistency.
First, roll limes around counter to help release juice. Then, grate 2-3 limes for zest before juicing. Juice the limes and set aside. Add all ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. Pour/scoop mixture into a muffin tin, lined with baking cups. Top with lime zest. Freeze for 2-4 hours. Remove for 10 minutes to thaw before serving. Store for up to 2 weeks.
If you try one of these recipes, please post in the comments section! Want to be in-the-know about my latest cooking demo schedule and complimentary grocery tours? Sign up for my newsletter below!
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.